There is a lot to love about this Spiced Beef with Pureed Peas recipe. With exotic spices and a touch of honey, its flavor profile will please many. It is also a hardy dish, so serve it with some lighter sides or a fresh salad.
This recipe doesn’t come from my grandmother. In fact, I don’t remember where I got this recipe. But I’ve modified it a little bit over the years and call it my own recipe now, with a little French love cooked into it. 😉
If you cook this recipe, take a picture and tag me on Instagram so I can see what you make! Also, please leave me a comment and let me know what you think about the dish!
Spiced Beef with Pureed Peas Recipe:
- 1 kg (~2 lbs) of frozen green peas
- 600 g (1.25 lbs) of ground beef
- 1 small log of plain goat cheese
- 1 red pepper
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1/2 cup of soy sauce
- 5 tablespoons of honey
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 1 tablespoon of curry powder
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- A pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 20 cl of whipping cream
1. Preheat the oven to 355 degrees. Place the bouillon cube in a medium pot of boiling water and dissolve. Peel the onion and place it into the boiling broth. Add the peas in the water and boil for about 5 minutes or until they're cooked. Drain the peas and set aside the onion.
2. Puree the peas until smooth and add the red pepper flakes (to taste). Add salt and pepper to taste (but don't over do it as you will be adding the soy sauce later). Add the cream and puree again until blended.
3. Mince the onion and the pepper. Sauté the onion and pepper until golden. Add the meat to the onion mix, and add the cumin, curry powder, and paprika. Mix well. When the beef is almost browned, add 1/2 cup of soy sauce and 5 tablespoons of honey.
4. Add the pea mixture to the bottom of a baking dish/casserole dish and then add the beef mixture on top. Crumble the goat cheese and sprinkle over the beef. Cook in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.